What to Expect when Coming to our Studio for a Headshot
How the portrait process works, start to finish.
Many customers ask us about the process of coming in for an executive portrait. Here’s what you can expect when you book a headshot session in the Barlow studio.
• When you arrive at our studio, look for the entrance near the rear of our parking lot. There’s a big Barlow logo on the door. Enter here and we will happily greet you, or ring the bell at the desk to let us know you’ve arrived.
• We’ll show you to a dressing room where you are welcome to spend as much or as little time as you’d like checking your hair, makeup and clothing. If you think you’ll want more than 15 minutes for grooming, that’s no problem at all. Just let us know when booking so we can schedule accordingly. (If you’d like some professional help, you’re welcome to bring your own stylist or inquire during booking and a makeup artist and/or hairstylist can be provided.)
• Once you’re camera ready, you’ll enter the studio where the lighting and backdrop are already set. Our chief photographer, Bill Sawalich, will show you to your mark and make sure you’re comfortable. He will no doubt be happy to chat with you while he fine-tunes the lighting and ensures everything is just right.
• Headshots can be stressful for some, but Bill works hard to make it easy. The more you can relax and enjoy the conversation, the better the pictures will be. In any case, the session will be over before you know it.
• Most studio sessions last about 20 minutes in total, but we’re happy to take more time if needed, or get you out quickly if your schedule is tight. Again, just let us know what will work best for you.
• After the shoot—often the same day—we will upload proofs from the portrait session to a private web gallery and email a link. (Proofs are the raw, straight-out-of-the-camera images prior to retouching.) Take as much time as you need to select your favorite; we’re in no hurry. Feel free to share the link with friends, family or colleagues to get their opinions, and try to defer to them if you can! Then when you’ve made your selection, simply call or email us with the file number of your favorite.
• Once the selection has been received, we will process and retouch the image file according to best practices (we want you to look your best, but never overdone or artificial) and resize to fit any specifications you or your company may have provided.
• Allow about a week for delivery of the finished image files, though we’ll work hard to get them to you sooner. And if you need to meet a specific deadline, please let us know in advance so that we can be sure to schedule the processing and turnaround accordingly.
• Finished image files can be delivered as prints, on a USB drive or the most popular method, via a download link we’ll send in an email. If you’ve got questions about which method will work best for you, just let us know.
• Our portraits include an unlimited usage license so subjects are welcome to use their headshots however they see fit: on websites, in marketing materials and of course on social media.
Please don’t hesitate to call us at 314.994.9990 with any other questions you may have. We hope to see your smiling face in our studio soon!